My friend Linus has been saying this thing to me for a long time now. Internet is just a trend, it'll soon go away. I took it as a bad joke, ofcourse internet isn't gonna go away. But then this thing happend. I got mail, real mail. A physical letter with my name on it. Since I moved to Barcelona I've got snail mail 5 times. And every time I almost cry because it is so beautiful. We all know that people don't ever take the time to sit down and write mail on real paper. We simply don't have time, there is global warming going on (what does the paper come from....yeah, it's those nice trees outside the window that might have to risk their life so that I can get the satisfaction of getting snailmail) and then internet and electronical mail is so simple so why should we really send snailmail?
Well for anyone of you who still doesn't know why, please send me your adress and I'll send you a real snailmail. Also to be more nerdy, I have to tell everyone who deson't know that I worked for the swedish state's postal service this summer. I have to say it was a very tough job, and I didn't enjoy every minute of it, but when I think back on it, I have to say it was kind of wonderful. I hated 90% of the post (mostly comercial publicity and gossip magazines) but the the other 10 % was letters, postcards and presents. I loved running up and down the stairs those days when we didn't have any publicity to deliver, just the real mail. I would fantasize about all the love letters and accidently read the postcards from cousins and long distance friends...possibly also squeeze the present boxes to figure out what was in them...
It's just this thing with the physical contact, it's worth so much. People need to get a letter once in a while, or just a postcard. So to end my babbling, I think that Linus might be more right than he actually intends to be. Internet is dead, long live snailmail!
1 kommentar:
"this is the condition for witnessing or for voyeurism in principle universal, for the absolute nonsecret, the end of the private life that finally I detest and reject; but while waiting, the private (eye) has to be thrown in. Implacably, and the secret and the crypt and the reserve. I do not refuse the absolute publicity of testifying, I reject the witnesses, certain witnesses. One after another, this is true up to the present, and almost all of them. Myself occasionally, which is why I write a bit without believing in anyhing, neither in literature, nor in philosophy, nor in schools, the university, the academy, the lycée, the college, nor in journalism. Up to the present. This is why I am somewhat hung up on post cards: so modest, anonymous, offered, stereotyped, "retro"-and absolutely indecipherable, the interior safe itself that the mailmen, the readers, the collectors, the professors finally pass from hand to hand with their eyes, yes, bound." jacques derrida
Skicka en kommentar